Thursday, April 24, 2014

Glorious Rainbow Elephants-It's True!


Today is my sister's birthday and 12 days ago I finally got around to making her present...

It was a special request item. She sent me the black and white tribal elephant drawing and wanted me to "make it rainbow." Well, that's what I did!

I ended up taking some artistic license and didn't translate her sketch exactly, but I really like the way this project turned out. Leave it to my sis to get me to do something out of my comfort zone!

While I nearly quit and tried something different, I decided the rough-edged look worked well with the tribal influence of the design and stuck it out. Eventually the piece came together and I ended up really liking it. The process was a bit tedious and challenging but I always enjoy getting immersed in an art project. Even better when I know exactly what I'm going to do with it when I'm done!

I will often make gifts for people and while I thoroughly enjoy this and usually believe homemade gifts are better than throw-away junk I very often will panic and think, "Is this enough? Is it good enough? Is it worth (cost) enough to be a good gift?" It's frustrating and sad but not that uncommon a worry. I have to reassure myself that my heart is in the right place and that the amount of money spent doesn't necessarily communicate care or generate worth.

Also (not pictured) the hubbo picked out a nice frame for the piece, which I think adds some oompf. I still feel a bit sad and self-conscious, but I can't control what others' think of my gifts. My heart is in the right place, so be it!

Making this project all the more delightful were the bright and fresh smelling tulips at my table. The perfect colors I might add! I put the elephant next to them for a glamour shot... I guess the tulips influenced me and I put their colors at the top ;)

In reality, I couldn't remember the colors of the rainbow and looked up the pattern. I even learned a handy acronym, Roy G. Biv: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. I'm sure many folks learned that as youngsters but I guess I missed it. My blue and indigo are one, but oh well. I dig it.

Looking forward to seeing the birthday girl this weekend for a birthday get together. Should be a fun time.

In other news, we have some budding wildflowers in the balcony boxes but I'm concerned about my calla lily. While I tried to keep it dry this winter, I think leaving it in its pot was a bad life choice. Very mushy. Well, there is always next year!

Me and plants. The ongoing learning curve saga.



1 comment:

  1. the picture with the tulips is AMAZING...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF