Wednesday, July 9, 2014

That Infernal, Impenetrable Island!

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have many islands. Have I visited them? Not really... We went to Bainbridge once for an observatory lecture and I've been to Camano before but otherwise I'm not very familiar with the islands and traveling to them.

Which might make you wonder why the sudden need to visit one of these islands? It all has to do with my taste for vikings and Scandinavia.

Months ago I found a little advert for a exhibit at the Royal BC Museum called "We Call Them Vikings." Apparently this exhibit was created in Sweden and it's the first time the exhibit has traveled outside of Scandinavia. I was hooked.

Fast forward to this week when the hubbo and I actually look into it and we discover that the Royal BC Museum isn't in Vancouver as I had assumed. It's in Victoria. Whoops. No biggie, just a little more adventure, right? Turns out getting on and off that island costs an arm and a leg, especially if you take a car.

We may be Washingtonians but we ain't ferry people, how were we supposed to know? After an hour or so of trying to figure out the most cost effective way to plan this impromptu museum trip we gave up. With the other trips we are planning this year we can't spend hundreds of dollars for a museum expedition to that impenetrable island!

That said, if something falls through or circumstances changes it's still on our radar for a backup trip this fall.

And we have validated our land lubber's existence away from the necessity of ferries!

In other news, it looks like Fio's anal glands weren't cleared at the groomer's. Again. So time for another visit to the vet and a change of grooming services. Talk about a pain in the ass. ;)

I have had some mood issues this week, I think resulting from lack of exercise and too much stress. It came on in the evening and while I could feel the descent happening before I knew it I was in a frenzy. Nothing too dark or suicidal, thank goodness, but a sort of over-energized urge to pull my hair and scratch and thrash, it felt like I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. It was a very physical episode without the usual doom and gloom mental piece, just annoyance and concern at my crazy self! Thankfully the hubster stayed up and chatted with me until I was able to fall asleep but I have still have some work to do to regain more stability. I guess I'm going to have to get out in the heat and get used to it because trying to avoid it ain't working so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF