Thursday, January 28, 2016

Memories

Tonight was my aunt's memorial. It is remarkable how surreal it felt despite the many years I've been preparing for her departure. Knowing she would leave us prematurely didn't prepare me for being in her home, being surrounded by family and friends and memories but no aunt.

Being fresh out of the hospital myself I was feeling pretty raw. It's not typical in my family to be blubbery but I couldn't help it and thankfully I wasn't alone; my cousin, uncle, and mom were all emotional too. Good riddance. I am glad we could all appreciate the impact my aunt had in our lives, I'm glad it wasn't minimized. That happens a bit too much in my family.

Somehow the memorial brought up a lot of emotions regarding my hospitalization and depression, my frustrations surrounding being sick and struggling in my own life; feelings of shame and concern about getting my life in order and being there for my husband and son and family. Somehow the horror of my depression, the potential of my suicide, was only revealed in the shadow of my aunt's death and weighed upon me this evening.

The hubs reassured me that I'm doing all the right things; ECT, therapy, medication, hospitalization, we're looking into NAMI support groups, childcare. It's a bit overwhelming, I feel like I'm a bit outmatched but I also see his point, I can only do so much at a time, all the right things still take time to fall into place.

In the mean time, I must be kind and gentle with myself. I'm still in the midst of intensive ECT treatment and adjusting to life outside the hospital again... Life's twists and turns, I tell ya.

6 comments:

  1. It is strange to be in someone's home after they die. The space almost becomes sacred, for lack of a better word.

    Keep looking after yourself and just deal with what you can. Looking at the mountain is daunting. Just keep on looking at the few steps in front of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Hannah, hubs is right and it is okay to feel whatever you feel...thinking of you and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs. Echoing Birdie and e. Be as kind to yourself as you are to others. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like everyone is on the right track here...just concentrate on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, do be kind to yourself, Hannah. You are definitely doing all the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also echo Birdie and e, Hannah. Please be kind to yourself. Warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF