Friday, March 11, 2016

How is it...

How is it that I have such an utterly terrible copy of one of my favorite movies? I'm still enjoying watching it, don't get me wrong, but in the age of Blu-Ray ya can sure tell when a DVD isn't quite up to snuff!

What is this movie? Why let me tell you...

One of my favorite movies of all time is a John Wayne flick called "McLintock!" It has Maureen O'Hara, Patrick Wayne, Stefanie Powers, Jerry Van Dyke, Chill Wills, and Yvonne De Carlo in addition to John Wayne and even more actors that have become beloved and familiar after I've watched the movie so many times since my single digit years.

If you peruse this page of quotes you may just get a feel for it but there are many moments and quotes that aren't mentioned that have become favorites in my family. One of my personal favorites in the film is when Maureen O'Hara takes over driving a wagon and John Wayne (riding a horse) rides up and asks "Just where do you think you are going?" and she replies, "Don't use that range boss tone of voice with me!" and drives on by to a local mine where a big brawl takes place.

Also favorite in my family is the word play of the movie. There is a lot of drama between the country folks of McLintock in the territory and the city folk of the established states and cities and such. You've probably already gathered from my blog that I'm a word-lover and being an English major to boot just lines me up to enjoy the word play even more I suppose... but my whole family enjoys the back-and-forth and the "What does ________ mean?" questions that pop up every so often!

I'm not sure if "McLintock!" is my favorite movie ever but it's certainly one that I would never leave out of my collection. It might be a little... heavy? on the spanking/violence but I think everyone gives as good as they get-and any movie with molasses and feathers like that... and Maureen O'Hara chasing down her man in the end! Ya just gotta see it if you have the chance, I'd be typing all day if I tried to capture every special moment.

And did I mention, that in my family we have had a stuffed animal or two take the name of a character from this movie and a cat take the name of a character too!?

Anyways...

In other news I finally found my favorite pair of glasses (the purple ones with the plastic frames) lying on the sidewalk outside just over the railing of our stairs! They weren't cracked or anything but I'll have to clean 'em up a bit-been missing all week!

Started DBT this week and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think "crabby" might be the word? Having to change my ways is a bit annoying but I think it has to be done if I ever want to live the life I keep yearning for... guess we'll see. Still feel like a mess... guess the important thing is to remember I can change, things can change, and I'm not just a lost cause.

Been feeling a bit down on myself for not driving and being... reduced (?) in my capacity of late but I'm trying to do some chores and keep up with things even if I'm not taking care of the babe or quite up to par lately. Ugh. One foot in front of the other...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Ma'am, one foot in front of the other...I'd have never pegged you for a John Wayne fan. I hope you, BB and hubs have a nice weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you have a good weekend too! :) and yes, I'm a John Wayne fan :) My mom is a bigger one and kinda passed it down! Me and my sibs grew up knowing the name "Marion" and watching lots of different Wayne flicks. My favs are "McLintock!" "The Quiet Man" "North to Alaska" but I enjoy many more as well :) John Wayne is a happy part of my family memory banks, I tell ye what!

      Delete
  2. One foot in front of the other. And on bad days, staying still is fine too.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool beans on the glasses. Not cracked, too. Brilliant.

    Keep hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF