Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for Blogger (well duh!) #atozchallenge

This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!


B is for Blogger because blogging... wow, blogging. I haven't really sat down and thought about this before! This is kind of a big deal! 

B is for Blogger because blogging is a big part of my life and a great part of my life. Blogging is more than just an outlet, more than just a way to express myself or practice writing. Blogger is one of the few places I actually feel safe (even as I type that it feels totally ridiculous but also still true) and one of the few places I have friends that I actually believe to be my friends (that might sound weird but it's something that I've struggled with for a long time and it's an important fact).

Many moons ago when I started blogging I was skeptical and only loosely aware of how the whole thing worked and definitely only mildly aware of Blogger functioned. The hubster was a huge part of me starting blogging. Without his encouragement, I might never have started a blog and without his ongoing support I certainly wouldn't still be blogging today. The lovely readers and fellow bloggers that leave comments and encourage me are also a big part of why I'm still blogging, and in that way, why I'm even partaking in this A to Z Challenge at all! 

I'm so grateful for this tool, this outlet, this safe place in my life. I'm grateful for Blogger itself (despite all the functional, "are you kidding me?" hiccups and such) but I'm also grateful for the opportunities that Blogger has presented to me and all the unique people, stories, pictures, and conversations that I've been able to experience because of Blogger.

There are days when I feel self conscious, when I'm afraid to click "Publish" or too ashamed, embarrassed, or fearful to leave a comment or say what I really think or feel, but more often than not I get past those feelings and I get to publish, I get to write, I get to partake, I get to socialize and for me that is a big, honkin' deal. This gal don't get out much, folks, so the socializing outlet Blogger presents is important! It's also a huge part of my recovery and maintaining wellness... a huge part. Even when I'm just typing/talking to the wall it helps because I can be myself a whole lot more through blogging than I can through Facebook or even real life.

So even though it means admitting my anti-social, awkward, self-conscious, foibles-I am typing it to the heavens: 
THANK GOODNESS FOR BLOGGER!


17 comments:

  1. Bravo.
    I felt I had come home when I found the blogosphere, and have found many wonderful people here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I'm so glad I made it to the party :)

      Delete
  2. I have similar feelings about blogging. I didn't really know what to expect or even what I was going to do. But I have slowly evolved my style and learned a lot along the way. The best thing about it all is the friends I've found. Keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's amazing how much has changed in five years and I know things will continue to evolve but the friends are the best!

      Happy Blogging! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Great choice for the letter 'B'! Thank goodness for blogging. I love it and have met some of the most amazing people around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I love the fact that I get to interact with folks from ANYWHERE. Thanks for reading Martha :) glad you are a blogger!

      Delete
  4. Yep. Me too! Blogging is where I found my voice...how to be honest and real. It feels good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stellar. Love to read that! *fist pump*

      Delete
  5. I do love blogging. Occasionally I tell people I blog and get a blank look back. And then I wonder how they can manage their lives without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha It is a wonderful outlet and resource! I haven't mentioned it much but on the rare occasion that I do I recall having to explain a bit to the people!

      Delete
  6. Yes! Blogging fulfilled the need to give focus to my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad blogging helped you fulfill that need :) I have so many words up in my head I don't know what I'd do without an outlet like this to let some out! Thank you :)

      Delete
  7. I love blogging. I have been at it for almost a year and I have to say it helps me maintain my sanity, it is like my "me" time. I also want to commend you on being so open about the fact that you are dealing with PPD. It is a subject that is not often talked about and it is important that more women are aware that they are not alone. Just to let you know you are not alone, feel free to check out my post about how I dealt with PPD and how I was ashamed because I was a nurse: http://mommyrnblog.com/the-taboo-subject/.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie, not only for reading and commenting but for sharing about your PPD on your own blog (I did read, and it was a great post! I also had the "throw the baby out the window" thoughts and it was awful). I worked most recently as a birth doula (when I could work) and love it, hope you feel the same joy as a I do at births! it's beyond words:o)

      Best of luck with the A to Z Challenge and keep enjoying the marvels of blogging!

      Delete
  8. I am new to the blogging world and am really enjoying it. The a-z has been a great way to meet other bloggers and see what they are doing. Blogging is a great thing.

    @WeekendsInMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blogosphere! This is my first A to Z but so far I'm enjoying it :)

      Happy Blogging!

      Delete
  9. Woohoo for Blogger. Now, if they would just ditch this, I'm not a robot crap.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF