Friday, April 8, 2016

G is for "The Golden Girls" #atozchallenge

This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!



G is for "The Golden Girls" because "The Golden Girls" is my favorite TV series and it has got me through some very dark days-months on end really! It is one of the most reliable coping tools the hubs and I have in our arsenal when it comes to soothing me, calming me down, getting me talking, or cheering me up.


I have all seven seasons of the program on DVD and have watched and rewatched them in order so many times I've lost count. The hubster is a fan of selecting a DVD at random. The random approach tickles my compulsive side a bit but it's come in handy so many times I'm glad he got me started on it! I used to be rather obsessed with watching them in order so I'd always begin with season one whenever I had forgotten where I left off (I can tell you I'm pretty dang familiar with that first DVD). 

I love all four of "my girls," but Rose (portrayed by Betty White) is my favorite. Of course, the special way all four ladies interact on the show is the best comedy in the show, but I love Rose's innocence and joy and all those ridiculous Norwegian words she drops! Oddly enough, Sophia is my second favorite and she's quite sassy and experienced, with a different brand of wisdom. 

I think one of the reason the show soothes me so much is the sarcasm. My first family, as long as I can remember, has been heavy on the sarcasm so it's almost homey to hear that "lip." I also appreciate the love between the roomies and how they honestly express their care and concern and appreciation for each other at times instead of withholding those words (like my first family). It also doesn't hurt to have such familiar faces, expressions, sets, and costumes to return to again and again. The familiarity is reassuring and comforting to me and I think I will watching this show for many more years to come.

If you've never seen an episode you can probably look up some videos or clips to enjoy and if you're already a fan of the show, maybe this'll prompt you to enjoy a clip or two for old time's sake!

In the mean time, how about a random GIF that gets me smiling or even guffawing every time I see it?



Do you have any favorite TV shows or movies that help get you through the toughest hours? or give you comfort or joy in a reliable way?

16 comments:

  1. I watch almost no television, but did thoroughly enjoy those episodes of The Golden Girls that I saw. The sarcasm and the affection were so much more real than many portrayals. Or perhaps it is just that I, like you, recognise the sarcasm and would have appreciated more overt support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that is part of what I love about it too, how real their relationships seem. There are a few parts where I can feel the actor/role separations but for the most part it is so delightfully smooth and it seems like the ladies enjoyed a true friendship :o)

      Delete
  2. Favourites? Several. The Blacklist. The Big Bang Theory. Death in Paradise. Haven. Warehouse 13.
    I've seen bits of The Golden Girls, but it isn't on our screens at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like you and I are "netflix twins" haha!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you are a bit more adventurous than I when it comes to suspense and action, but Big Bang Theory is in the comedic section for sure! Happy Watching :o)

      Delete
  3. That was a great show! I haven't seen it in ages. It would be fun to watch some of the episodes again.

    Cheers - Ellen | http://thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com/2016/04/g-is-for-grounding-nancy-drew.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew exactly which episodes were my favorite but I can't even narrow it down to a favorite season haha I enjoy so many of them!

      Thanks for reading! Cheers to you as well!

      Delete
  4. What a great choice. I used to watch this show when it was on TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I ever watched episodes "for real" on the TV but I did catch plenty of reruns. I think my cousin really got me hooked when he let me watch a season on DVD for the first time several years ago. It then became therapeutic (and a minor obsession) and I've had all the seasons by my side since!

      Delete
  5. My sister and I used to watch Golden Girls when I was little.

    I spent a lot of time alone during the summers after my sister moved out. My day was divided into 30 minute and hour long blocks of time...arranged by the tv shows I watched. :) MacGuyver was one of my favorites...I always daydreamed about him rescuing me. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Rockford Files and Magnum PI too, Andy Griffith Show is good but I don't think I could watch that over and over like Golden Girls and Rockford and Magnum *contented sigh* I'll have to check out MacGuyver next ;o)

      Delete
  6. oooh! I've never watched Rockford Files. I'll have to look that one up. :) I was also pretty into Quantum Leap. It was usually on right after MacGuyver. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of "Quantum Leap" but when I looked it up I recognized Scott Bakula from "Star Trek: Enterprise!" Ha! The funny ways things intersect, eh?

      Delete
  7. I love the Golden Girls and in fact featured them on my blog today too (I'm doing classic TV shows). The chemistry between the characters is near perfection. I can see how the show would bring some levity into your life.
    When I need a laugh, I usually turn to Modern Family. That show really makes me laugh.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy them Michele! And that sounds like a fun theme for the A to Z :) Never watched "Modern Family" but I've heard of it. Thanks for visiting and commenting! Hope to see you again :)

      Delete
  8. We don't have TV here, not even basic cable or channels but we do have NetFlix playing through the xbox. And Youtube and Prime. I watch mostly cookery and baking and educational stuff. Though there are comedies I enjoy as well.

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF