Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J is for Jokes #atozchallenge

This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!


J is for jokes because jokes help grease the gears and get me through tough, awkward conversations or simply make life a little more enjoyable for a moment. 

I grew up in a family that isn't comfortable sharing many personal feelings or details. Many times I've shared something quite serious or personal and been met with paralyzed silence, but by joking around we can usually get some sort of conversation going even if it's not quite as helpful or purposeful. 

I'm also really grateful for jokes because having depressive episodes really, really sucks and it's really tough to do much of anything or keep your mind away from horrible thoughts, but watching some comedy can take me out of my depressive mood for a little bit and jokes can sweep away my sadness for a moment. "The Golden Girls" and stand up or even goofy comedy movies all help me maintain through really tough days and I'm very grateful to have a pleasant coping tool like that!

I also enjoy and am grateful for jokes while joking around with medical staff or office staff. Going to the dentist or getting ECT done can be highly stressful but joking around a bit takes the edge off. So many times I said, "Oh! Here I go. See you guys later!" as the anesthesia swept over me for ECT or joked around with the nurse as they poked me with the big ole needles for my IV. It made things so much better. Even on those days when I felt really horrible, it helped to crack a joke.


And in honor of today's topic, I will share a favorite joke of mine (I favor the wordplay variety):

A raccoon goes to board a plane and he's carrying two pieces of roadkill. What did the flight attendant say to the raccoon?

"I'm sorry sir, each passenger is only allowed one carrion item." 

Hahahahaha & ewww!

I think I get the pun loving from my dad! Anyone else have favorite jokes they'd like to share? 






*If you didn't get it, carrion = carry-on, and carrion is a word not so commonly used to describe dead and decaying animals or flesh.

8 comments:

  1. Loved your joke.
    One of my all time favourites:
    What is red and invisible?
    Bloody nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! What sass! Glad you enjoyed my joke, I enjoyed yours as well :o) As always, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Well, that made me snort! I don't remember jokes well, but I enjoy them immensely. My whole A to Z Challenge is a challenge to bring at least a smile to everyone who visits.

    I'm a visiting minion with the Joyful Brigade. I'm glad I got to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to stop by too! Glad I got a snort from ya ;O) Happy "A to Zing" and happy blogging! I love your combo of Shakespearean insults and surrealist compliments, it's hilarious!

      Delete
  3. HAHAHA! That was funny...

    I can't imagine life without humour. It's gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life.

    I'm glad it works for you, Hannah! Laugh until you cry sometimes. Does the soul real good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does do the soul good :o)

      Delete
  4. Life without jokes, ugh, how dull. Life with jokes, SO MUCH FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF