Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for Not Caring What Others Think #atozchallenge


This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!


N is for not caring what others think because not caring what others think is so amazingly helpful when it comes to working through my anxiety or having a productive day or doing just about anything! Of course, I care about what people think and appreciate certain opinions and assistance from those I know that care and love me, but dumping the rest feels so good---I got "flamed" the other day and it felt so good to write that asshole off and delete that comment! This gal just don't care! *z-snap*

Not caring what others think is something my husband is excellent at doing. He is my sensei when it comes to insouciance. I will get worked up over something someone said or a funny look or perceived judgement and somehow he gets right to the point and guides me to more peaceful territory. For example, "You're caring what others think again. Let it go." (occasionally I'm even serenaded with a horrible rendition of Disney's "Let It Go," no offense Hubby).

Someday I hope that I can "not care" without even trying, but for now I am working hard at focusing my thoughts elsewhere, doing my own thing, working on my health, and letting go of worrying about what other people are thinking. Thankfully DBT is really helpful when it comes to redirecting my conditioned thoughts!

And not that I care what you're thinking, but if I just got "Let It Go" stuck in your head, I'm really sorry :o) 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Never a shortage of lessons in life it seems...

      Delete
  2. Great post, Hannah! This is a good place to be. And not caring what others think will get much easier as you get older since you're already working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I sure hope it gets easier, I'll keep workin' at it!

      Delete
  3. Here's a little tiny bit of advice. Try to remember that when you feel someone has said something mean or given you *that* look, most of the time it's about them and their attitude and whatever baggage they're carrying around. It's not about you. When something like that happens, smile! :) It may just brighten their day and change something in side them. For sure it will change something within yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a marvelous point of view and tactic, I definitely like how it changes something positively within me regardless, others' are just a bonus :o)

      Delete
  4. I've not seen that movie but I have heard bits of the song. Good on you, girl. Keep up the great work.

    Here's to healng :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hub's version is... well, it's not pretty haha but he gets the point across!

      Cheers to healing!

      Delete
  5. It's hard to not care what others think and I think that everyone does some of that. But Bish had a very good point. Most of the time it's about them and not you. If I said that once, I said it 100 times when my kids were in that awkward/difficult age of middle school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I was conditioned to blame myself and find fault in whatever I did instead of understanding that we all have a hard time from time to time.

      Delete
  6. I've never been overly concerned with what others think, but as I've grown older, it matters less and less to me. I think part of it is, as I become more sure of myself, who I am and comfortable with her, others opinions or actions effect me less. They lose their power to make me doubt myself and if it's positive they are only reaffirming what I already knew.
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your self assurance, I wonder if I'll ever be able to achieve such status! Thanks for the invite, I will check out your A to Z :o)

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF