Friday, April 22, 2016

S is for Sleep #atozchallenge

This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!


S is for sleep because sleep is really important. Whether it's recovering from a major panic attack, depressive episode or preventing relapses and maintaining health, sleep is vital. 

That said, sleep is difficult for me. For many many years I've been one of those folks that lies in bed for an hour or more trying to fall asleep. It's my norm. It sucks. The hubs just drifts off, I don't know how he does it, but I can appear asleep and have my mind fully awake and zooming around like MarioKart.

After my most recent hospitalization they gave me a prescription for Lunesta but I don't use it regularly. Like all my "as needed" pills I tend to avoid taking them as much as I can. I'm not convinced, but I think that the Lunesta does help a bit. I think I shall try to use it a bit more often. 

Sleep can be blissful and fitful, it can be satisfying or disappointing. Sometimes I can sleep for hours and hours and not feel rejuvenated or energized, other times 20 minutes of hard napping gets me ready to take on the world! So confusing sometimes and unpredictable, but such is life. 

Oh. And the drool. That kinda distracts me sometimes. I'm a drooling fool but not consistently, it's hard to say when the waterworks will get turned on or off. It's a little worse with the nightguards because of my teeth grinding... 

ANYWAY. Enough about me. What are your favorite sleeping places? nap spots? Do you sleep in the car?Do you like quiet or ambient noise or music? I used to fall asleep to "The Golden Girls" every night with my cat Iroh when I lived alone. Never had to make the bed because I usually slept on the couch!

Sleep. A battle and a blessing. *shaking head* Not sure if the mystery will ever be solved for me! or if sleep will always be like spinning a roulette wheel and seeing what I get for that night!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you struggle with sleep.

    I go to sleep with no noise, we don't have a TV in the bedroom. No music either. I like it pitch black and silent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep is so important! I'm sorry you struggle with it at times. I used to sleep like the dead. The world could be ending and I didn't hear a thing, unless it was my kids. The slightest sound the kids made woke me up. But other than that, I'd be dreaming away. Until I reached the menopause stage. Then I began tossing and turning and waking up at all hours. It seems to have gotten pretty much back to normal in the past few months and I'm finally sleeping through the night again. I don't mind noise or lights or anything; I'm not easily disturbed. Once I'm out, I'm out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF