Saturday, April 23, 2016

T is for Travel #atozchallenge



This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!



T is for travel because travel has been a wonderful part of my life and a part of my life that encourages me to get through the tough days and reach for those travel goals I have set and continue to set.

Travel became a "must" part of my life when I was very young. Heck, I was born in California and then we were stationed in Panama and then we went back to Washington and then were stationed in Kentucky and back to Washington and all the camping and road trips and exploring sprinkled in between until my first "solo" venture out during study abroad to Australia and New Zealand before my first true solo trip to Iceland in 2009... I've done a bit of traveling methinks. More than some, not as much as many but a good enough amount in my book to say that I enjoy it.

The hubs and I have taken to the roads since very early in our relationship for camping dates and caving excursions, checking out historical sites and museums. We've gone to Alberta and Disneyland and are planning to take a cruise in a few years and at one point check out Hawaii-there are lots of places we've been and still more we'd like to visit. All those memories and all those goals are a helpful piece of keeping going. They give me found memories to take shelter in and hopes to cling to. 

Sometimes, in my messed up brain, it doesn't really make sense to "live for family" or it's difficult to believe "my life is worth living" or that "I'm worth the struggle," but boiling things down to a simple task/reward dynamic: live through this month and ya get to go to ________ in a few weeks! can encourage me to keep going. That's just the hard truth of it sometimes. 

So where do you love to visit? What are your favorite road trips and explorations? Where do you still want to visit and get to explore someday? Does travelling help you get out of your head and back into life?

3 comments:

  1. I know it's sometimes hard for you to believe or even understand that you are worth living and that you are worth the struggle but you are and I'm glad travel helps you. That's a wonderful thing to look toward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are worth every moment of every day from head to toe! Do you hear me? Don't make me come there :)

    TRAVEL! My absolute favourite thing in the world. All I need is to win the lottery and I'll start packing my bags. And I love road trips closer to home a lot, too. We do that from time to time and it's always fun. We don't always plan; sometimes it's spontaneous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you gals, it really means a lot to have ya say I'm worth it :) and I'm glad we can all appreciate travel for the fun that it is! Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF