Friday, April 29, 2016

Y is for Yoga #atozchallenge

This post is part of my first year doing the A to Z Challenge and I happen to be writing under the theme Gratitude: The Things That Keep Me Alive. This is a relevant theme for me as I am struggling with postpartum depression, and also have diagnosed anxiety and bipolar II (just to let you know what's going on with me-it might be pertinent as you read the post below). Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!


Y is for yoga because yoga is something I can be proud of about myself (I ain't too shabby at yoga even though I be a bit flabby) and yoga does marvelous things for my physical and mental health.

Even in my darkest days when getting out of the house is a rare and tremulous occasion, going to a yoga class can soothe my nerves and clear my mind. I'm not saying my mind is quiet for the entire class or that I won't have anxiety the entire time, but it gives me a break from my symptoms and that is AWESOME when you're suffering.

Yoga also gives me tools to help me self soothe outside the studio/classroom, a way to socialize (however minimally that might be), and an opportunity to take pride in myself and my accomplishments. When I balance well and hold my tree pose while other yogis be fallin' on their asses, I feel good about myself! I hope they are alright and I know that I could fall on my ass at any moment, but for a brief moment I feel pride and that's a rare and lovely thing for me-I appreciate those moments more because they are so rare.

My physical and mental health benefit from yoga in many ways and the bonus boost to my self confidence makes yoga a part of my status quo and self identity that I appreciate and cherish. I love it when the hubs calls me his "yogi" and I love having something that I can teach him instead of always feeling like a clueless boob.

Yoga is a wonderful thing for me and I love having it in my life. I can't remember the first time I ever wandered into a yoga class, but I'm sure glad that I did!

Anybody else love yoga? Never tried it? Curious? Yoga fails you'd like to share? I've heard several about ripped pants, I tell ya what! 

6 comments:

  1. Yeppers. I love to practice yoga, daily. Though I don't believe in yoga fails. We get there when we get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good philosophy, Ivy! It does remind me of a quote from "The Incredibles," where the dad says the same, "We get there when we get there," and so makes me grin and giggle a bit :o) Thanks for that <3

      Delete
  2. My biggest yoga fail was I stopped practicing. My wonderful teacher moved to another state. I should have kept going with someone else. Or on my own. I'm glad you have yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best teachers are such a precious commodity! I have two favorites at two separate YMCAs up here, so when I'm driving like a grown up again I shouldn't have a problem. I also really liked Rodney Yee's DVDs and I think he does some YouTube if you're interested in that! And, officially, you haven't failed, you're just at a rest stop ;o)

      Delete
  3. I loved yoga but haven't found any wheelchair yoga that I like that compares to what I did standing...the stuff at our library sounded like it was made for toddlers and the woman talked down to them so that was a big sucky turn off for me. Glad you had a bit of a day out and some fun recently. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never practiced yoga but I would probably love it. My sister-in-law swears by it; she does it every day, meditation, too, and it's done wonders for her. Just yesterday I told my daughter she'd probably enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF