Thursday, June 23, 2016

Good For Me

Today was the third day in a row that I attended a group exercise class at our gym. The past several weeks I've been going to the gym pretty regularly and working out on the treadmill and doing some stretches or a few ab exercises but the group exercise classes are a much bigger challenge and more out of my comfort zone.

It feels good to have sore muscles and feel a sense of accomplishment but I think it feels even better because the instructors have been so supportive. I didn't expect to have them speak to me personally or give me a big ole high five for coming back to class a second time (that happened this morning) or give me a compliments on my form and effort-it's really made an impact and encouraged me to keep getting to class, sore muscles or no!

Unfortunately we're coming up on the annual resurfacing of the big workout room so I'll have a week and a half without classes from next week til after The Fourth. It kinda sucks because I'm just breaking into the regimen and I don't want to lose my momentum but a couple of ladies from the classes mentioned going to some other branches of the gym and hitting up those classes to tide ourselves over and I think I might just do that. Little intimidating going some place entirely new and unfamiliar, but I think I've got the oomph to venture forth and try something new :o)

There are lots of chores around the house that I haven't got to but I have been doing pretty well keeping up with laundry and dishes and I feel good about that. I'm so hard on myself for not doing everything I can think of... it's really sad. I have to just dismiss the mean thoughts and focus on giving myself props for what I do achieve and recognize how far I've come over the past couple months. Things aren't all sorted out by any means but I'm doing a lot better than I was and that is certainly worth something.

It's tough for me to feel pride, to be grateful, to think well of myself, but I'm trying. It feels a little strange but sometimes a positive outlook coalesces in my brain and I think to myself just maybe I'll be able to alter my negative patterns and figure out how healthy and happy works... just maybe I can embrace "liveable" instead of misery. Sure is tough remembering to take things one moment at a time and let the changes build over time when I'd rather just flip a switch!

One thing at a time :o)

16 comments:

  1. I give you a high five for going to the gym!

    I can live with liveable. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add another high five. High ten even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. High fives from here too...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exercise is proven to raise endorphins, elevate the mood, improve sleep habits, etc. Great that you are enjoying it! And if you end up with a rockin' sexy bod because of it, that's just a big ole plus. ;)

    Barbara from Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pride is highly overrated. Instead, dive into those places that enrich your soul. Exercise is always good for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercise certainly helps me in ways that nothing else can-such a sweet relief to clear my brain out of all the worrisome thoughts for a while!

      Delete
  6. Way to go, Hannah! It is wonderful to see you improving. I've noticed in your writing the transition over the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, I was wondering how the blog must be representing all my ups and downs and arounds :o)

      Delete
  7. "It's tough for me to feel pride, to be grateful, to think well of myself, but I'm trying."

    You keep at it. Just takes practice.

    For me, this week, I didn't finish everything and you know, I'm good with it. Where before, I might try and do more. Screw that. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to being good with it! I certainly struggle with incomplete or unknowns but I know that life is full of these types of things and requires acceptance... So many big lessons to be learned in little bitty steps over so many moons! Whew. Life is work!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF