Friday, June 17, 2016

Happy Friday

Today I switched things up and instead of going to the gym this morning I did some cross stitching and then went downtown to donate blood. Only after I left the condo did I realize that I wasn't quite sure where I was going. It had been so long since I donated and I've had so much ECT that my memory of the route was very sketchy.

Luckily we had happened to drive by the blood center last weekend so I had a teeny recent memory to cling to and found my way there with only mild anxiety issues! Even more marvelous, my iron was high enough to donate *booyeah* so all the water I drank this morning came in handy and my donation was pretty dang efficient.

Last night I managed to finally fill out a volunteer application for the blood center and this weekend I will hand out reference forms to some family friends to get that process moving. It's been months and months that I've been talking about volunteering there and I'm finally feeling up to it. Though I'm not feeling 100%, I have to admit that improvements have been made and this application is evidence!

I think I'm in an awkward transition between sickness and wellness... I've been sick for so long that I'm overly aware of my illness and it's challenging to maintain a healthy mindset. I'm certainly trying but I'm definitely aware of a tendency to think of myself as weak and sick instead of healthy and capable. It makes things like a volunteer application tougher to dive into and makes things feel more challenging than they otherwise might feel but I'm aware of the mindset and I'm hoping to make changes (on top of so many changes!).

*sigh*

I'm doing what I can and beating myself up for not being totally healed and 100% better isn't going to get me anywhere! I've made progress and I can make even more progress, little by little.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and is doing well :o)

Happy Friday!


11 comments:

  1. Dear Hannah, please do not beat yourself up and allow yourself to heal at your own pace. You did well by changing things up a bit, it is always good to break the monotony every now and then. Warm hugs and much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda :o) Sometimes I have a rough time accepting what my own pace happens to be!

      Delete
  2. Yay you. That realisation that you ARE getting better is huge.
    One of my brothers volunteers at our blood bank. And donates plasma once a fortnight too.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :o) Good for your brother, sounds like he helps out quite a bit! Hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  3. Proud of you! Hugs and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, hugs and happy weekend to you too!

      Delete
  4. This is good stuff, Hannah! It's hard not to get stuck in a negative mindset when the road has been so rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Martha, it makes sense that it would take a while for me to get to greener pastures-especially when I have a predisposition to negativity!

      Delete
  5. You can beat yourself up over and over and all that does, is halt your progress. And for what?

    No, you have far too much good to do in this world and you are needed. So try the best you can to stop beating yourself up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF