Tuesday, July 26, 2016

"Think Less, Do More"

"Think less, do more" is the mantra recommended to me by my therapist to try and combat my reoccurring suicidal thoughts and just plain mean internal monologues of late that aren't any help to anyone.

It's certainly been helpful to me staying active and busy, my gym classes and more chores and walks and reading have been helping me cope and I achieved quite a few decent days for a good stretch there a week or so ago... but these past few days have been challenging and while they haven't been completely and totally awful they have had more than their fair share of negativity. Some days I haven't been able to cope very well at all and have felt hopeless and miserable but I also know that there have been many times that I am able to use my skills and keep myself from bottoming out completely and I'm proud of that.

So far, today has been better than the last few days but I'm still feeling unstable and fearful of dark thoughts. I thought of the mantra and dragged myself out of bed, adhering the to traditional morning practices of getting dressed for the gym and putting brekkie together and making the hubster's coffee. We began a game of Upwords and I took the dog out for his morning constitutional before kissing the boys goodbye and heading to the gym.

I didn't cry in class today (that happened in yoga class yesterday, I can't claim that I was totally stable to begin with but it was this song that really tipped me over the edge-I was wishing so hard that I could easily, simply change and be better for the hubster and BB as I listened). I got a good workout but wasn't quite ready to face the empty condo and lunch so I walked/jogged at the park until I felt spent. Big news, I made my own lunch today! That's a big deal! Lately I haven't had much appetite and have been inclined to skip eating so just to make sure I eat I end up getting some sort of fast food to just say I've eaten. Today I made a sandwich!

Anyways. Life has been tough lately. I have been emotional and frustrated, spitting angry at times (I seem to be struggling to accept that this is my life and that struggling against the darkness is likely always going to be a part of my life) and then alternately overwhelmingly grateful for the hubster and so loving toward him that it eases my pain for a while... it's been a roller coaster.

Thankfully the hubby recognizes that I'm in a dip and experiencing a challenging time and has been supportive. When my weekend didn't improve and Monday was still rough we decided to call into ECT and get another appointment, so I've got that coming up Thursday. I'm hoping that I'll feel better by then but we decided it would be best to have an appointment made and not need it than try to white-knuckle it.

I'm trying to do my best and stick with the DBT skills and soldier through the rough patch but it's definitely brought up a lot of my fears and confusion about my variety of treatments and what is working and what isn't and if I'm getting better; the wise-minded part of me believes that I'm making progress but the darkness can easily convince me that I'm not getting better and that I won't get better and that nothing works for me. I think I summed it all up as, "I'm trying to get better and I'm doing whatever I can to get better and that's better than giving in and just killing myself so just keep trying."

Well. I love typing and I could type all day but I feel like the loudmouth at a party that's run her mouth for too long! So I'll wish everyone well and hope that y'all are having good days :o)

Off to keep at keeping my head above water!

<3

15 comments:

  1. You are so far from the loud mouth at the party that I could laugh...given everything, you are doing well. You are an amazing woman whom I've seen grow over time here. Hugs and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{{{Hugs to you, Hannah}}}}} I wish you many more better days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha! Sounds great to me!

      Delete
  3. You are definitely not a loudmouth at a party but if you were I would be sitting beside you listening intently. You continue to keep me in awe at your strength and determination. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Birdie :o) Sometimes I feel like an utter failure but then other times I feel like a stubborn go-getter trying her best and I can see the "strength and determination" you mention... Just gotta keep trying!

      Delete
  4. Loudmouth? You? Another place where you are way too hard on yourself. You have a lot of valuable, powerful and moving things to tell us. Thank you.
    And here's to the day when you are no longer treading water but swimming confidently. Which is so much closer than it was.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs. Thank you EC. Maybe someday I'll feel confident in my voice but until then it certainly helps hearing that I'm not overstepping!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dear Hannah, I can see how a certain song can affect you, because being a highly sensitive person, I am the same way. And not just a song, in my case. It could be a picture, a particular item...the list goes on. I think it is great that you are writing and sharing these things because I think it can be very therapeutic...and I hope it is for you. Sending you much love and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. It's always good to know there are soft souls out there like me! Love & hugs right back at ya!

      Delete
  7. "Think less, do more" I like it! I'm stealing that mantra for myself.

    I have a friend who often tells me that "if you aren't crying, laughing hysterically, or farting...then you aren't doing the yoga right." Ha! I think she may be onto something with that idea.

    I was reading your comment this morning, and reading this post, and wondering why the heck we (you, me, other beautiful souls) struggle so much with certain things... and a thought occurred to me. We have to figure out this puzzle, grapple with these thoughts, so that we can show others how to do it for themselves. Your rubix cube has 10 sides, not 4 sides. It's going to take more time and effort to solve than a typical 4 sided cube. And that's okay, because in the process of solving your own more complex problems, you are showing others how to solve their simpler problems (cuz you already solved that 4 sided cube)...and inspiring others to keep on twisting and struggling with their 10-sided cubes. Does this even make any sense? LOL!

    Anyway. I wish you well too! Hope your day is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha love that comment about yoga and I think you're onto something with the 10-sided Rubix cubes! Totally made sense to me, no worries! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Screaming Willow is right. I'm sorry you have to do it, but solving your complex problems is helping others to solve their simpler ones. I'm fortunate that I don't have suicidal thoughts, but I do spend way too much time in my head. Repeating the simple phrase from your therapist of, "Think less, do more," was a very good reminder for me.
    Next I'm gonna have to try yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you don't have to combat suicidal thoughts and I'm glad the mantra was a good reminder for you-trying yoga, yes definitely!! Haha

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF