Saturday, September 10, 2016

Steppin' Out!!

I was feeling... verbal? brave? daring? Whatever it was, it was a big leap into new territory for me to post the following to Facebook. It was all linked up with the following article from The Mighty. I came across the article from a couple of pages I follow sharing it and felt inspired to make my own statement in honor of World Suicide Prevention Day and National Suicide Prevention Week.


-----


It's World Suicide Prevention Day and just like National Suicide Prevention Week I feel compelled to post and share a little bit. #WSPD16

I really appreciated this article. I hate to know that there are so many others that have experienced the same heartbreaking pain but hearing their stories is so encouraging for me personally and I would think it can be helpful to those who don't quite "get" suicide. For those out there that "get" suicide on a personal level-keep fighting! We can do this :)


The following snippets really resonated with me:

“In the mind of the person thinking about the act, it is the complete opposite of a selfish decision. In that moment, we truly feel the world would be a better place without us. It’s a situation I’m glad some people don’t understand because it means they’ve never felt those feelings, but one which people who have never experienced themselves shouldn’t be so quick to judge.” — Jen D.

“When I tell my story, it’s not for attention. It’s a way for me to reach out and make others realize they’re not alone. I want my story to inspire others to keep going, to continue to fight, and to take the steps towards a happier and healthier life.” — Megan D.


I know the fear, the pain, the doubt, and how hopeless it all can seem but I also know when I'm in my "right" mind that life is worth the fight. I live with the fear of my disease convincing me otherwise everyday, but I keep doing my level best to keep fighting the good fight. #IKeptLiving

I know this post is ridiculously long :p but that's okay!
Strength and hope to all in the trenches... be well <3

-----

Today was an up-and-down day but overall up. I had to use a lot skills and I battled some anxiety but I've also enjoyed more relaxed time than usual and kept active and proactive-yay!

I'm a survivor, and I'm doing my best and that's good enough :o)


8 comments:

  1. Powerful truths there.
    Hang on to them.
    And hugs.
    Suicide selfish? It has often struck me that the people who toss that phrase out have a) never known the pain, and b) believe that a person suffering intolerable pain 'owes' it to the world to endure it. Both of which are wrong. Or so I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs right back :o) I so appreciate the way you put "toss that phrase out" because it does seem that those that make comments like "suicide is selfish" do just toss it around!

      Delete
  2. Such great words. All of them true. What we deal with is so misunderstood. A few weeks back I was told that all I need to do is get out of my head. I wanted to tell him that he needs to get into his heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your response! Comments like "just get out of your head" are so dismissive and invalidating...

      Delete
  3. Even knowing there is nothing any of us can do, it is still difficult not to offer advice. It is wrong but it is usually out of caring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, I like the way you wrapped up this post. "I am a survivor, and I am doing my best, that that's good enough!" Yes indeed! We cannot do any better than our best. And anyone who says that a depressed person is selfish has no idea what depression is. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs :o) and very well put, "anyone who says that a depressed person is selfish has no idea what depression is," I totally agree.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF