Saturday, October 22, 2016

Anniversary / Here come the holidays!

The hubster and I celebrated 4 years of marriage this week. I managed to surprise him by hiding a small bouquet of flowers from him overnight (under the bathroom sink, clever, I know) and awaking early to set them out by his lappy with a card. He was quite surprised and pleased although a little chagrined that he didn't have my card ready for me to reciprocate at that moment. He made up for it quite handily with an amazing card and note as well as flowers.

For special plans we decided a family dinner out was the pace for this year and ended up going to a fancy-ish Chinese place at the mall. I'm blanking on the name but we definitely enjoyed ourselves and because it's a big chain they were totally down with having a toddler flinging low mein around and there were highchairs to spare!



Our anniversary brought up feelings, not just of love and gratitude but sadness and awe at what our last year has involved. It's been a tough haul. This time last year I was between hospitalizations and while I definitely don't feel 100% now I can say that I'm feeling a bit more functional than I did then.

It's hard to think of what we've been through. It brings up such intense feelings. Sadness. Guilt. Anger. I suppose a better way would be to think of it as all that we've overcome and how well we're doing compared to then and how much things can keep improving instead of dwelling on the negative, but that's just how I'm wired for now. I'm trying, it's just a hard mental habit to break!


Anyways.


Our anniversary is always at the beginning of the giant wave of holiday festiveness. While we're not Halloween people, it is the gateway of sorts to the holiday season and it marks the beginning of the "holiday season" when we see the candy and decorations at the local stores. We are definitely looking forward to Thanksgiving and the Christmas festivities even though we're not spooky types ;o)

Costco already has the coupons out for holiday cards and it got me thinking about how much I enjoy sending mail out even though we don't get much personal mail back (ads and coupons and stuff, yeah, personal letters or cards not so much).

If there is anyone out there in the blogosphere that also appreciates good ole snail mail and is interested in receiving one of our holiday cards please send me a message so I can add you to the mailing list! I hear from some of y'all more frequently than I do my own family so I wouldn't mind sending out some more cards if there are those who would appreciate it :o) If ya wanna just keep things on the blogging level I can appreciate that too, no worries.


As for the overall, we are plugging along. Dips and wavers and little victories included. I've been able to actually relax and watch some TV this week which may sound trivial but feels like a big accomplishment since I have such a difficult time relaxing and focusing lately-but I can do it!

Baby steps forward and baby steps back but baby steps adding up to onward and upward and that's what counts.


Happy weekends to all <3


23 comments:

  1. Huge hugs.
    From the outside it seems to me that your baby steps have added up to some GIGANTIC strides. Not easy work, but you (and hubby) have done it. High tens.
    Is your magnet there yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC! High tens right back :o)

      Yes! The magnet is great! I sent you a card back but I have no clue when it may reach you. My husband was also impressed with the magnet and found it very sweet that a friend would send it to me <3 Thanks again :o)

      Delete
  2. I like sending mail too and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you both, dear Hannah! And I love this photo. You are so photogenic. Just beautiful! And what a sweet gesture of the flowers for your hubby. Chinese food...I do love it, but not all of it, however, dry garlic spare ribs, chicken fried rice, Spring rolls or egg rolls and chicken chow mein, or barbecue chicken, and I am a happy camper. You are definitely in a better place now, and I am so proud of you. Much love and many hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :o) We did have some good eggrolls there with a yummy mustardy sauce. Love and hugs :o)

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary, dear Hannah! I love the hopefulness of this post, and the way you embrace the sadness as well as the victories, and your awareness that the steps back and forward ultimately lead onward and upward, a wonderful reminder for me, too, so thank you. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad :o) Sad but glad! Love to you as well, keep up the hard work, onward and upward <3

      Delete
  6. I send snail mail birthday and anniversary cards. I have stacks of them. It is something I enjoy doing. I would love to get a card from you. Send me an email to birdieisblogging blah blah hotmail. Com. Or have I given you my home email? I think I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it makes me happy that you are doing better. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) I'm trying to be happy about it too but that damn darkness can be so convincing *argh*

      Delete
  8. Snail mail is fun but long, long, long time ago, I stopped with the greeting cards and birthday cards. I don't care for the clutter.

    Happy Four Years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♫♪ Happy anniversary ♪♫ Wishing you both many more joyful years together! You are an amazing woman and quite an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! I think the best present you have given your husband this year is all of the hard work you've done to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is such a great way to look at it <3

      Delete
  11. Happy 4th Wedding Anniversary!! Wishing you more years of even greater happiness and less hardship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is such a wonderful wish for us!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF