Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Astounded

Last night I was quite calm. I even reassured my husband, "don't worry, he'll never win." Then we found ourselves shocked and gaping at the streaming news from the computer. Watching the electoral votes tally shift, we shook our heads and clasped hands. The impossible was happening. It wasn't a joke, it wasn't temporary, it was really happening.

We couldn't muster the energy to stay up and watch the conclusion, so in the morning the hubby whipped his phone out in bed and checked the results. He had won. Really. This was happening. It wasn't that we were raving Hillary supporters, she didn't really float our boats either, but we were more anti-Trump than anything else. I had been truly convinced that he could never win and then he did. The hubby and I were baffled and astounded.

Even though the results were so shocking and I would've never picked Trump for president, I still hold out hope that things will turn out okay. I can't fathom the scale of disaster so many seem to anticipate, yet I couldn't fathom him winning the election and that happened, so who knows what's possible? All I know is right now I don't feel afraid. I feel concerned or skeptical but for the most part I have faith in our country and even hold out hope that Trump can prove people wrong and be the president we need.

Sheesh. It's still not really sunk in. It feels like I'm stuck in some over-dramatized reality show! But all I can do is wait and see what happens.

Condolences and congratulations as appropriate to all my fellow Americans. I know there are a lot of happy folks just as there are shell-shocked disbelievers. In fact, I think that there are very, very few that don't fall in one of those two categories!

Anyways. The election is over and for that I'm grateful. Now we just gotta see where things go...

14 comments:

  1. Hi dear Hannah, here in Canada we are equally astounded and horrified at the results. I watched the entire thing unfold last night on television, and I even had trouble sleeping so I checked the results on the web at 3:15 a.m...and there it was. :( Yes, the election is over, thankfully, and all we can do right now is hope that things will work out for all. Sending you many hugs and much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and love! I do hope things work out for us all, only time will tell

      Delete
  2. I was so shocked when I heard Trump had won. I'm not a massive fan of Clinton either but she was a far, far better option than Trump.

    Mind you I was also shocked when the UK voted to leave Europe, and never saw that one coming either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I guess we can never really know, can we?

      Delete
  3. This was certainly a surprise. I do hope everything turns out well, Hannah. And I hope the country comes together. There has been too much bitter division.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the country comes together too :o)

      Delete
  4. You are a better person than I am, Hannah. I do not offer any congratulations to anyone that voted for that vile human. I am deeply saddened today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me smile :o) I hope things turn out better than we expect!

      Delete
  5. Hugs to you...I wish one of my friends in other countries could take me in as I am dreading living through this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs. I know it's a tough pill to swallow :o(

      Delete
  6. Gob and smacked. Flabber and ghasted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good attitude my friend. We are all in shock.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF