Thursday, November 3, 2016

November is Here

November is here and I'm adjusting to life without multiple TMS treatments down in Seattle each week. I've had my regular gym classes, which are good and I enjoy, but filling my afternoons is still a standing challenge. I've been able to cope relatively well but I think I appreciate a little more now how important it is for me to stay busy!

Speaking of staying occupied, I hope to be taking an online course or two through my local community college this winter quarter and, an important step on that path, I received my student ID number this week! Woo!

I am getting geared up for registration although I'm a little frustrated that class doesn't begin until January. I think I will have decent hours doing ornaments this month and partway through December but I am worried about staying busy... the empty time can be dangerous for me but I am working on my bad mental habits and I know that I will continue to improve as long as I keep trying.

Sheesh, if worrying were more enjoyable I could easily stay busy doing that! *pfft* *grumble* *wince*

In other news, I've been trying to participate in cooking meals more as well as help with Baby Bananaface more. The cooking can be frustrating because my memory is still rebounding from the ECT and sometimes I know that I've cooked a recipe a zillion times but I just can't remember quite how things go. Guess there's something to be said for experiencing something like new again, eh?

As for helping with BB, it's stressful but I've been pretty good about acknowledging and coping with the anxiety it brings up which helps calm me down so I can stick to the present moment and just do my best. There has been so much time when I've felt completely incapable of any parenting and been easily triggered by the stress of a small child that my anxiety can be far worse than the actual tasks at hand. Baby steps. I was able to go out and about with BB solo and give him a bath solo within the past week-big accomplishments!

This morning I hit the treadmill and did a cycle class and this afternoon I'm volunteering at the blood bank. There have been blue skies and sunshine and I am very much enjoying it. The grey was definitely start to get to me!

Anyways. That's some of what's up. I hope y'all are finishing out the week strong and that sunshine finds you too <3

14 comments:

  1. Volunteering sounds like a good idea to fill your time these days. Have you checked out the food bank or Toys for Tots or some similar organization that has more to do around the holidays? You might be able to do something like sort food donations or flyers that wouldn't suffer too much if you weren't able to make it one day.

    Considering everything, it sounds like you're doing well and making steady progress. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :o) I've got ornaments work picking up so I'm hoping that'll fill good time and just got news my schedule might be changing but that's for another post...

      Delete
  2. You are setting a strong example for anyone dealing with this disease. Hope all goes well without the TMS treatments. It will be great to learn that it has truly healed that part of your brain that causes the disruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We will see about the TMS, only time will tell

      Delete
  3. Yay you.
    I am so impressed at the strides you are making.
    High tens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, volunteering is always beneficial, and I am so proud of you at how far you have come! I will join Elephant's Child above in the high tens. :) As far as cooking goes, the good thing about that is we learn through practice and experimentation, and if a recipe isn't perfect, oh well, perhaps it will be the next time around. I am not sure if you have a slow cooker (crockpot) or not, but I do and the most delicious, moist and tender meals can be made in it with very little work or experience. It is a great tool, especially in the winter, but of course can be used anytime throughout the year. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs & high tens :o) Thanks Linda. We do have a CrockPot although I have forgotten many of my recipes. I do know we love butternut squash, chicken, rosemary, and cream of mushroom-Y U M-and chili is another fave.

      Delete
  5. You are just rocking the place! Go, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *victory dance* Thanks Birdie! :o)

      Delete
  6. Go, girl! Recognizing the new opportunities and grabbing them is a big move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Big move is right though I still swear by my baby steps ;o)

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF