Monday, November 21, 2016

Rollin' With It

This weekend was a bit different than anticipated due to unforeseen events, mainly, my husband's best friend's dad dying.


I remember the hubbo coming out of the bathroom Wednesday or Thursday with his phone in hand, a funny look on his face. I had been filling out and addressing his best friend's birthday card to be mailed that afternoon and requested that he sign it.

"You might need to make a different card," he said, looking down.

"What do you mean? What's going on?"

He shook his head and sighed. I began to feel concerned.

"What is going on? Please tell me what is going on." I tried to pry an explanation from him but he remained quiet. I took a stab in the dark, "Who died?"

Tears gathered in his eyes and he sucked in a fast, deep breath as sobs burbled forth. He managed to tell me it was his best friend's dad that had died as we came together in a hug. I felt him crying in my arms and between the shock of the news and empathy for him and his friend I felt a profound sense of gratitude that I could be there for him in this moment. There had been so many moments when I wouldn't have been able to offer comfort or support over the past year and change, but that afternoon I felt solidly grounded in my ability to be a partner and wife.

I think all that we've been through postpartum and the thought of our own parents dying made the news hit closer to home but things became even more emotional when we learned that his friend's dad had died by suicide. After being so close to that experience ourselves having a friend go through it... just wow. It's still amazing to me in a terribly sad way.

The hubbo wanted to attend the service, driving over 4 hours there and back in one day. At first I thought that we'd all be going but then we decided it would be a better idea for him to do the trek on his own and me and Baby Bananaface to hang at my parents'. Thankfully they were in town and able to accommodate our needs although they had a busy Saturday of their own. I was able to integrate into their schedule and they were able to give me the support that I needed while being in charge of BB "on my own" for the day.

It was a stressful, tiring weekend but there were perks along the way: being able to support the hubster, spending time with my family, having dinner out with just me and my siblings. The hubs and I were even able to get home early enough Sunday for me to hit up yoga class! A challenging but rewarding weekend. Here are some pics:






Today was pretty tiring too. I'm feeling that last minute rush before Thanksgiving and the backed up laundry from our impromptu weekend journey ain't helping the situation! Gym classes were good though and it didn't rain, which was a nice surprise perk.

My tired brain has lost track of where I was going with this, so I'll leave this post here and call it good.

If I don't post again before then, Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating. We are headed over to my in-laws and very much looking forward to our holiday time. I hope everyone has a restful, fun, and delicious day!

10 comments:

  1. Hannah, it is wonderful that you could be there to comfort your hubby. Your photos are beautiful! I am so proud of you! Love and hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :o) Love and hugs right back!

      Delete
  2. Hannah, this is a sad post but you not only rallied, you scored as well. This could have been a time that knocked you off your feet but you handled everything so well.

    I continue to be proud of you, my friend.

    BB looks full of the beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) I was nervous but I made it through and these victories are certainly building up my confidence as I continue to reengage with life

      Delete
  3. Birdie and Linda are right! Hugs to you and your husband and your friend's family...your boy is growing so big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the sad situation, but you were able to rally. Each day you get more and more proof of how much you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) so true about seeing that proof that I'm getting better, I try to appreciate that and remember to give myself credit as often as I can!

      Delete
  5. Oh, hugs all around, Hannah. I'm so sorry about his best friend's father. That is heartbreaking. And I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs right back, thank you Martha!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF