Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thanksgiving and the Weekend

This year, like years before, we traveled across the mountains to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. It felt a bit different this year since my memories of years previous are rather splotchy at the moment-almost felt like a new experience! Although I do remember the feelings of enjoyment and relaxation and safety that are so closely tied to my in-law's place, so while things felt new they also still felt familiar and comforting.

The food was great as usual and my mom-in-law made a chocolate pecan pie this year that may make it hard for me to go back to regular pecan pie! So dang scrumptious. Dark as sin, it was so chocolaty, but when ya warmed it up and ohhhh... so good. Ahem. *recomposes self* Pie swoon over. I think y'all get the picture!

Our travels went well. We avoided the major traffic and the pass was clear, didn't even hit all that much rain either. We got to hang out with one of the hubster's sisters too and it was nice to catch up a bit. They got a little feisty over politics and such but they kinda like to do that so it was nice to see the hubbo getting his debate fix.

We had to leave and head home earlier than we really wanted to but needed to make it back Friday night because Saturday I had work obligations and we also had an appointment with the shelter to take Fio in.

It was a pretty emotional afternoon, especially for the hubster. We really truly believe that he'll have a better life with a new family though. We just aren't able to be the pet parents we want to be. We were actually discussing how surprised we were that this didn't happen sooner what with all the crap we've been dealing with postpartum... but no more neglect and short stick, Fio will find a family to pamper him. *sigh* Definitely feel some shame but really think that it'll be best for everyone in the long run.

Work was busy and will continue to be extra busy with Cyber Monday coming up but I felt really good Saturday after having an especially efficient work day and working faster than I'd ever worked before. They don't call me "Super Hannah" for nothing! In addition to two "groups" of ornaments I also plowed through two mega orders.

One of the mega orders involved a crapton of names on a Christmas tree, the same ornament 12 times in a row. I don't usually get achy when I work, but that order had my hard hurting! Here's a pic:


The owner wasn't sure if she wanted it dotted or not but I hope they dot it. I think the dots make it look finished, not to mention I don't dot my 'i's when I write because I'm expecting them to dot it up for me! Here's an example of the finished ornament with the dots. I was surprised when I started working here that the writing and the dots were two endeavors but now it's just "normal."

Anyways. Time to get Baby Bananaface brekkie-I let him sleep in a bit this morning :o)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, definitely a wet one up here in the PNW!

16 comments:

  1. Ha ha, the photo of you with the ornament is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful holiday weekend. :) The ornament is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very hard decision about Fio. The right decision so often is.
    Glad that your holiday weekend was mostly pretty good. And chocolate sinfulness helps rather a lot of things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words. Thank you :o) I concur about the chocolate!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a great holiday weekend, Hannah! I love the tree! And I do love chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice weekend you had! Fio will find a good home...as for chocolate, cannot get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been hard, but absolutely did the right thing for Fio. I wish more people would take your lead.

    What happens when you make a mistake on an ornament? Does the ink remove easily or are you just that good that you never make a mistake? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I make some mistakes but thankfully not too often! We use rubbing alcohol and little pieces of napkins to wipe off the ink and for tougher jobs we have special pens to remove the ink. There are some times we use an Exacto blade to scrape off little errors or adjust things too. It's a bit of a learning curve taking things off as we have to worry about the finish on the ornament becoming damaged.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving! That photo of you is so funny :) I love your expression!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ornaments are so nice! Somebody else makes them and you do the writing? What happens if you make a mistake? I don't have the patience or the creativity. You are like SUPER creative! You write, draw, make Christmas ornaments. I'm kinda envious. I have little talent in the arts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ornaments are designed by outside companies and mostly made in China. The owner seems to know a lot of the designers and sometimes makes recommendations or requests about designs though.

      It's challenging at times but I have a good time trying to make the tougher requests happen; like lots of extra words or squeezing things into super tiny spots or special characters or adding glasses or eyelashes. It's a fun job for me!

      When we make mistakes we can usually get the ink off with just rubbing alcohol and a bit of napkin but sometimes we have to use a special pen to get the ink up and in severe cases or when we damage the ornament finish we have to repaint and refinish to cover our errors. Thankfully we don't mess up that bad too often!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF