Monday, January 9, 2017

A Good Weekend

It was a good weekend. Not because anything spectacular or amazing happened. It was a good weekend because the simple things happened.


For many months I've struggled to watch or enjoy any TV or movies. If it wasn't the material triggering me or being emotionally overwhelming, my anxiety made it impossible to sit through and focus on the show. There were even times when just sitting down for a movie gave my depressed mind an open playing field for my negative and even, at times, suicidal thoughts.

The hubbo and I hadn't been able to sit down and watch something together-and truly relax-for quite a while. Last week and this weekend we were finally able to again! It was a simple pleasure, but a great time and a huge sign of progress for me.

I have to stick mostly to romantic comedies, comedies, classics, or light action (too much drama or violence and I can get scary dreams or over-stressed) but we're able to chillax and enjoy a movie together again and I'm so glad.

The hubster works hard to provide for our family and take care of me and Baby Bananaface, so he really appreciates the down time. For many moons I wasn't able to relax enough or cope with the shows-we played board or card games to keep me distracted. It was sometimes tiring or just too much for the hubster after a long day of work, cooking, and childcare.

Anywho. I've been feeling really good about this and even a bit proud. I hope to keep building my resiliency and watching more flicks that I know I enjoyed at one point in my life. Maybe I'll even test the waters with some new ones... any suggestions are much appreciated!


In other news, I wore some of the new clothes I acquired last month. A shirt my sister found for me while we were shopping and a skirt that my mom gave me for Christmas. It feels good to put an outfit together and actually put forth some effort getting dressed to go out. For so long I've just been throwing on the layers and baggy clothes, hiding in the folds and skulking about-but things are changing. Hell, I even blew dry my hair today!

Here's a pic from this weekend:


Yes, I'm rocking the sippy cup and snack bowl from BB's afternoon snack ;o)


I'm still experiencing anxiety and pretty often feel myself on the precipice of panic attacks, but more and more I'm riding the waves and utilizing those coping skills. I may not ever be symptom-free, but I'm certainly feeling more confidence about being able to cope and survive.


Happy Monday everyone, I hope y'all had good weekends too!

11 comments:

  1. Hannah, I was so happy to see this post and I love this photo of you! I am so glad that you and your husband got some quality and down time together. The little things....little, but so valuable and important. These moments are moments that you will look back on in years to come and realize that these little moments were not little at all, and I am so glad that you are enjoying them! I love your attitude and outlook, you go, girl! I am so happy for you and very proud, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I'm proud of me too :o) One day at a time!

      Delete
  2. I love that you are able to do this and appreciate the simple things. You will be able to look back one day and realize what a wonderful life you've had with your husband and son...Now, I hope your new training goes well and that you enjoy that, too. Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs! Thanks e, so far I'm looking forward to training and building my life back up again-and that feels so good :o)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, wonderful news.
    The simple things are what keeps me (mostly) grounded. I am so happy to hear that your boundaries are expanding. Little by little.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Hugs :o) Little by little is so right

      Delete
  4. Lovely outfit. I am just now trying to dress nice and put on makeup every day. We'll see how long it lasts. You are smart to start with little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie :o) It's amazing how powerful those little things are!

      Delete
  5. There's a lot of fun, light movies out there -- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's amazing how poorly rated some of the ones I really enjoy are-but hey, that don't matter to me!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF