Sunday, February 12, 2017

Reverso Cards

So my birthday is coming up fast. Last week I had a conversation with one of my gym instructors about how this birthday means more than usual birthdays to me because I almost didn't make it here. She was very understanding and validating and I was able to share just about all of my story with her. It was awesome. She barely batted an eyelash and asked probing questions and was supportive, not scared.

Anywho. At the end of our chat she encouraged me to plan something special to celebrate my birthday. We have plans already to meet my family for dinner but other than that-nada. I thought and thought about it and then something popped into my head. I wanted to thank those that helped me make it to this birthday.

Money is tight so I decided to tell some people in person and then make cards for the rest myself. I've completed most of them (just have 2 more to go) and already talked to some of my providers in person instead of giving a card...

It was a bit tough for me figuring out exactly what to do and to not be too hard on myself while doing it! In the end, I drew each gym instructor a unique picture of an animal I thought they would like. A chickadee, a great blue heron, a border collie mix, and I'll draw an eagle and a husky today if I have the time.

In each card I wrote something similar with a unique bit included for each person. The gist was something like this: This year is a special birthday for me because I almost didn't make it here. As part of my celebration I want to thank those that helped me during the past year as I battled severe postpartum depression. Thank you for (insert specialized appreciation here).

I handed out a couple of them today and while the recipients didn't open them while I was there, they seemed grateful and I feel happy. Although I do think one assumed it was an invitation and I hope she isn't disappointed when she discovers it isn't! I suppose it is a bit of a reversal handing cards out on my birthday instead of receiving them, eh? Leave it to Hannah ;o)

So. That's part of what I've been up to in addition to my usual schedule and doing my best to stay balanced and moving forward.

In closing, I would like to thank each and everyone of my readers, commenting or otherwise! This blog and this community has been an amazing source of support for me during my ups and downs-especially during the last year and a half.

Thank you all for being such a wonderful part of my recovery and life. I appreciate you so much even though I can't always keep up with my reading and commenting! I'm so grateful for the encouragement and understanding that I've found here and have so enjoyed getting to know everyone more and more.

Looking forward to more years of gratitude and community-thank you!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! And so thoughtful and kind, just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea. And fun.

    Happy Almost Birthday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea! Happy Birthday to a lovely woman. I wish you many years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a loving and lovely woman you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! You have thought of the perfect gift. You have made incredible progress in the short time I've known you and I'm sure everyone will be very touched for you to tell them how they helped with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely, Hannah. Happy (almost there) birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all! It's so nice to hear that I'm not a creeper, just a carer :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF