Thursday, March 16, 2017

Nice People

This afternoon I'm volunteering at the local blood bank handing out snacks and rebooking appointments. I enjoy it-just a little tired today! Lots of good folks.

The sunshine outside (deceptive since it's so cold still) makes me think of this morning just after cycling. It was sunny and cold and we were cooling down when one of the regulars complimented me:

"It's really good that you stick with this and keep up your routine. You're doing so well and you're an inspiration to a lot of people." 

He smiled and nodded and I said thank you, then he went on to ask, "What's your goal?"

I was a little befuddled. "My goal for what?"

"Your goal, ya know, with all of this." He swung an arm around the cycling room and toward the rest of the gym.

I paused for a moment, unsure if the answer that came to mind was the one I should share. After a moment's hesitation I opted for honesty, like I usually do.

"Staying alive." 

He shrugged and frowned in a tiny bit, a little unprepared for the answer but respectful. "Well, that's always good."

I went on to tell him a little bit about my struggles finding a medication and how the gym classes help maintain my mood. He complimented me again and then somehow we got into a chat about a friend of his that got pulled out of the line at the Canada/US border. 

It was after having a kidney test with radioactive iodine done. The screening machines were sensitive enough to detect the iodine in his body through the car-it was quite impressive. Apparently he's preparing to donate a kidney to a friend of theirs.

Anyways. Those are some positive nice people from day. Gym buddies, donors, volunteers, and bloggers :o)

Happy pre-Friday everyone ;o)


14 comments:

  1. Love your honesty. It may just be a lifesaver for someone some day.
    And hooray for nice people - wherever you find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue :o) This encourages me to maintain my frankness! I have-and continue to-decided to pursue being genuine and save myself the stress of facades

      Delete
  2. My dad has to carry a card when he crosses the boarder. He has prostate cancer and the beads they use for treatment are radioactive. Crazy that they can be picked up!
    I get the goal of staying alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sensors are crazy sensitive! My cycling buddy said that the whole story made him feel a lot better about our border security hehe

      Delete
  3. I get your goal too and applaud your pluck. I'm glad you've got nice people around, that by itself can elevate mood. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e and hugs right back :o) It is good to surround yourself with uplifting folks, true, true, true

      Delete
  4. Hannah, I love this photo of you! And it is a blessing to have nice people around. Sending you warm hugs and much love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! Love and hugs to you as well :o)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for starting my day with a positive post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to oblige! Glad to be able to oblige haha!

      Delete
  6. You are nice. I do not like gym buddies. I take my Kindle to read or watch movies while I cycle and don't want interruptions. Yikes! I am awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, even those familiars that are wrapped up in their Kindles or cellphones or TVs feel like buddies to me... I really appreciate the routine of it all. You're not awful at all! No worries :o)

      Delete
  7. Hannah, I don't know if you are interested or would be willing to hop over to this blog. http://s1ckb1tch.blogspot.ca/ The writer has gone on medications and is feeling that it is interfering with creativity. You and so talented and creative and thought you may be able to shed some light on the subject. If you can't, that's okay too. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested and willing and will check it out. Not sure how much I can contribute, but I'm willing to try!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF