Sunday, May 21, 2017

Making Progress

My pie baking efforts continued today with a strawberry-rhubarb pie. I got the top to brown more although the foil on the sides for too long left a sort of coloration difference. I also forgot to put a cookie sheet under it and the overflow set off a fire alarm when it burned, hehe 😂 


As far as taste: YES PLEASE! 

Will repeat. Even my dad-who wasn't convinced rhubarb was edible (just don't understand why you'd ruin a strawberry pie with rhubarb) liked it. 


In other news, went for a walk with the hubs and BB this morning. It was warm and sunny and BB walked for a bit, then insisted on being carried. We got tied so I opted for a should carry! 


This weekend was a good break. My sister went to the beach Friday and then my nephew was with his dad. My parents took off Saturday for a Seattle trip. The hubs and I had a date night Friday, errands Saturday, and then an evening to ourselves before a slow Sunday morning with some chores and errands. 

A much needed break. 

Still working on letting go of others' problems and avoiding taking stress on myself. Glad that I'm aware of it (big first step) and hoping to chip away at this source of... agony? It's so distressing! 



Anyways. Sustained my first injury from CrossFit-somehow bruised the whole "chicken leg" part of my thumb/palm area! It hurt bad that first day and the bruise didn't show til the next evening so I was pretty confused for a bit. I think it was from the weight lifting, we did do some pull up practice... not sure. Getting better and still certainly memorable! 



Day by day. Gonna be a busy week! 

17 comments:

  1. That is a truly dramatic bruise.
    Hooray for having some down time with your hubs and baby BF.
    I am super impressed at the steps you are taking to protect yourself and build a happier, healthy future. As always, high tens.
    (And I love rhubarb. It is known in our family as thumb after a mishap one of my brothers had preparing it. Just the same thumb and custard was a family favourite.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High tens! I think a thumb and custard pie/tart thing sounds like a tempting adventure to me.... I shall let ya know how it goes ;o)

      My bruise did garner some attention at my next CrossFit class! The coach that day was impressed that I wasn't in pain and it didn't cause me issues during class.

      :o)

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you've had a good week! Isn't it wonderful when you start to feel the burden lift!? I had a good, happy and hectic week....daughter about to graduate from high school. Whew!
    Visit me at Life & Faith in Caneyhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! Hectic and also fun :o) I hope y'all have a wonderful time celebrating!

      Delete
  3. Wow, sorry about your injury but it is wonderful to know the tide has turned a bit and you're having a positive week. I'm glad too that everyone got a bit of a break, and your pie looks scrumptious. I hope this week is good, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e! I hope you have a great week yourself :o) Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are putting one foot in front of the other and making progress. Bless your heart:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie :o) That's the goal!

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see you feeling so great. I hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :o) One day at a time. Gotta flex those self-care muscles and build up that tolerance and resiliency in this new scenario and keep forging my way forward!

      Delete
  6. Besides using all of your hard-learned skills, exercising hard, and getting a break from your family, I think the key to making everyone smile is pie. I think you should keep it up and have fun trying new ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :o) So true and wonderful recipe for success ;o) See what I did there? Hehe I've always been a bit intimidated by pies so it's a good baking avenue for me to pursue methinks.

      Delete
  7. I think your father is going to learn that, not only is rhubarb edible, it is the BEST! I love it in a pie or crumble, just stewed by itself, or made into compote with strawberries. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way he said it I thought that he'd had a bad experience and it turned out that he'd NEVER tried it before!!! He just didn't eat it because it "looked like a poisonous weed." Well, here we go rhubarbific revolution!

      Delete
  8. love the pie. Best way to learn baking. That, and tasting.

    Shoulder carry for the win. Herei to your chicken leg healing up. Never heard that term before but now that you say it, I see it.

    Congrats on the awareness. Go you!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't think of what that park of the hand is called and "palm" didn't see quite right... I suppose to could journey through Google to find out, I'm just not that motivated. "Chicken leg thing" is it for now!

      Thanks for the encouragement and props :o)

      Delete
    2. I love chicken leg. It fits SO GOOD. And now, I cannot unsee the chicken leg. I love silly stuff like this.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF