Friday, May 26, 2017

Standards

I have shared here before about the hubster's 51%-er philosophy and I've seen it coming up a lot lately as I break into my new CrossFit routine.

The philosophy refers to a typical pass/fail standard; 51% or better is passing. As I've lived most of my life with a 98% or better point of view, trying to adopt the 51%-er perspective is quite difficult! It does offer more opportunities for me to build my self-worth and nurture better self-esteem.

Looking back on my life, I have recognized that a lot of my misery originated from my 98%-er attitude. I was frequently disappointed in myself when I didn't meet my personal standard or expectations put before me. When I did excel or achieve something specific, often it was never quite enough. I think that if I had been better equipped to appreciate my efforts I would've been much happier and healthier.

I can't really go back and change my past. I certainly try to adjust my opinions whenever I happen upon a feeling of disappointment. For instance, when I was recently talking with a friend I described how I graduated high school with an AA and a GPA of 3.98, then earned my BA when I was 20 with a GPA of 3.57. Despite earning my degrees "early" and with higher-than-average grades, I struggle with feelings of disappointment and shame. Why couldn't I have graduated with 4.0s? Why didn't I plan ahead for a specific career and better prepare myself for entering the workforce when I graduated college? Why didn't I apply for a MA program and pursue my desires to teach and edit?

I could dissect this all day! I no longer see that as very effective. Analysis doesn't necessarily help me move forward and improve my quality of life. Instead, I try to embrace the 51%-er lifestyle.

Qualifying life experiences by percentages isn't always easy or clear or appropriate. With my academic history I feel comfortable saying that I did 51% or better. As far as my "career," I'm less confident in claiming a 51% or better "grade" although I'm not homeless, so I'll say "good enough." No need to feel shame (not that failing deserves shame either).

If I ever do go back to school I know that I'll do my best and strive for high marks. Nowadays, I'm not gonna punish myself and chip away at my self-worth if I don't get a 4.0. It's not worth it and it ain't a 51%-er way of lookin' at things ;o)

ANYWAYS. Back to CrossFit.

It's tough. It's new. It's meant to always challenge you to venture out of your comfort zones. It's meant to make you fail.

Failure isn't something I'm very comfortable with! As a historically 98%-er type o' gal, failure is feared and a one-way ticket to crumbling self-worth and eroding self-esteem. Now, as I try to embrace a 51%-er perspective, I am coming to view failure as an opportunity to build resiliency and learn. Not only is this a good way to progress in CrossFit, it's a healthier way to progress in life.

I used to think that life was something you could fail. That enough failures would ultimately confirm my worthlessness and strip me of any right to partake in life. Now? Not so much. Now I see failure as a natural and essential part of life. There is no limit on how many times you can fail. The important part is to keep trying.

That said. I will go to the thoroughly intimidating workout tomorrow and do my damnedest. 51% or better and I'll be thrilled ;o)


Happy Memorial Day to my American compatriots and happy weekend to everyone!

THE SUNNNNNNNN!!!!! (Yay/Yikes)


11 comments:

  1. Do you know how many recipes I create that don't work? Bunches. Yet, I don't see them as failures because I always learn something. Glad you're feeling better and not letting these things hold you back. Life is just too dang short.

    PS: What is crossfit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossfit is a type of exercise regimen that mixes aspect from a variety of workout styles-gymnastics, weightlifting, rowing, running, and more. It's meant to build functional strength and is generally a no-frills type of workout atmosphere. So far, I'm liking it! Little scary though 😉

      Delete
  2. Some days this is my theme song. I fail daily, at all sorts of things. Many, many things. Which is ok. I don't (usually) fail the same way twice.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crossfire sounds like something I would enjoy except for the rowing and my bad leg, gymnastics and running. I wonder if there is a crossfire for wheelies? I was always wanting the 4.0 and got it, only to eventually realize that my perfectionism was effecting other parts of my life negatively. It took a good therapist to help me trace that back to my childhood family and dysfunction and was eye-opening and freeing to understand and let go. Hugs to you, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it with our need for perfection. When I took the Community Healthcare program I got all A's. And one A -. It's the A - I remember. I love your husband's 51% philosophy. I could learn to appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I get older, I've come to the conclusion that everything is a lesson. I'm not the perfectionist I used to be and I find myself saying quite often "F-ck it!" Life is too short for that kind of stress. It'll get easier, Hannah. Just you wait and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quote,"God made you and God don't make junk." That was the way I was raised and even when I have my moments of feeling down and worthless, that philosophy lifts me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'd have no personal growth if you were able to master everything perfectly. Each difficulty brings an opportunity to learn. Sounds like that crossfit is a good place to learn the 51% rule. If they are always challenging you, you can't be perfect and that's the point.

    Thanks for sharing. Today's post is giving me some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfectionism is a curse. You're very wise to reject it and to treat yourself more gently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectionism can spoil what could be a beautiful and enjoyable life. I love this photo of you, Hannah! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF