Last night I had a wonderfully quirky dream that involved the Puget Sound's aquatic animals. I'm not sure what exactly triggered the dream but it involved trash and magic.
In the dream some magical force from the sea drew all the aquatic animals into the sound near Seattle. The power then drew all the refuse and garbage from the sound and dropped it into Century Link stadium. In the dream the trash mounded over all the stadium seats while seagulls circled and crabs skittered across the pile.
In addition to the big pile of garbage in the stadium there were several abandoned/sunken boats dropped onto the I-5 bridge at UW. Talk about a traffic jam.
All of the animals hung out downtown for all the news cameras and gathering crowds. The sea-slimed trash was putting out quite a stink and the large "stunt" drew lots of media attention.
Somehow signs came out with pictures of the animals and trash and quippy lines like, "would you want to live like this?" There was a media fury over the water pollution and refuse dumped into the sound and scientists giving their best guests about the amounts of trash in the ocean worldwide.
At the end of the dream there was a vague sense that Seattle was up-in-arms against the trash and pollution in the sound, major change on the horizon.
The dream made me wonder-how much trash is really out there in the water? Out of sight, out of mind it must have had time to build-up and a lot of us have already heard about the giant plastic island floating in the Pacific. (Google it up-it's unbelievable)
I don't know if I'm a softy or I'm extra-sensitive because of my struggles lately, but I'm emotional just thinking of the problem. Contemplating just how many creatures are affected by the waste is a gargantuan effort-and so many of those creatures are simply amazing.
Maybe seeing that dead whale at Longbeach has pulled all those creatures a little bit closer to my heart-hell, a dead bird on the road plucks at my heartstrings!
(Not to mention I can't pass a honeybee crawling on the ground without lifting it to a shrub where I assume it'd be safer... the fiance thought I was kidding the first time I halted in the midst of a walk to "save a bee," but I was genuine! He's also become used to me directing our traffic away from slugs crossing our paths or when I move a stranded worm off the sidewalk to some grass.)
*le sigh* I guess all I can do is put in my two little cents and send happy thoughts out into the sea and keep hoping for the best.
Baby steps, Hannah. You can't heal yourself and save the world's sea life all in a day's time!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Be well, HBF