I know that this book has been around for over a decade now, but I hadn't read it until this week--and I'm glad that I finally did! Why? Well, A) Actively reading helps my mood B) It was a durn good book!
I vaguely knew that the book was based in the Puget Sound and that there was something about Japanese Americans and racial conflict, but I had no idea how wonderfully complex and well-woven the book was.
While the driving story line is based on the murder trial of a local Japanese American fisherman, Kabuo Miyamoto, the underlying plot of an old, forbidden tryst between his now-wife and another islander reveal complexities of the murder case as well as island politics.
The murder trial takes place in the 1950s, but the tyrst leads readers back to the early 1930s and beyond as Guterson frames racial tensions and community relations on the small island. Painting a rich picture of island life and crafting complex character relations makes for an entertaining read, but Guterson also injects stark realism with his portrayal World War II's affect on the islanders.
For anyone who enjoys a book with well wrought description and memorable, complex characters, "Snow Falling on Cedars" is a must read. It was especially enjoyable as a Western Washingtonian to read descriptions of our wet conifer forests and local island towns but even without a close connection to the setting of this book I would've enjoyed Guterson's descriptions and carefully cultivated scenery.
I finished the book in short order and was sad to see the finish come so soon as the characters were so realistic and intriguing. Not only did I enjoy the touch of romance and the wonderful writing, I appreciated the historical complexity Guterson crafted into his novel with great skill. Two thumbs way up!
In other news: Millie went to the vet yesterday and got IV fluids, antibiotics, and anti-nausea meds. We're trying to get to drink on her own and keep eating and also have to give her antibiotics for the next week or so, twice a day.
Iroh is perky and lounging in the sunshine as much as he can (in no way guilty about getting his sister sick).
I also read "The Girl With No Shadow" by Joanne Harris, a sequel to her novel "Chocolat."
While I enjoyed the book, it did take a while to get underway and was not nearly as enchanting as "Chocolat." I was constantly distracted by the leap from a small, backwards village to a modern Paris with iPods and laptops, but in the end the characters saved the book and drew me in. (I think part of my problem was that I read "Chocolat" so long ago and had seen the movie very recently, they are two different beasts and probably confused my reading a bit.)
I did enjoy the "villain" in this novel as she was much more crafty and threatening than the mayor in "Chocolat." "The Girl With No Shadow" has more magic and enough deceit and drama to keep your pages turning and was an entertaining afternoon read that I plowed through rather quickly! Not a must-read, but an okay afternoon's entertainment.
The parents are coming up this afternoon for a meatloaf dinner and an evening minor league baseball game. It should be fun, but we have to keep a tight schedule as my dad has to be at the airport with my brother and co. before 0500 tomorrow to head to Vegas (my brother is turning 21 on Monday-yippee!).


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Be well, HBF