Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ah! My hip!

Last Thursday I walked to the library and sort of over did it. I wasn't speed walking but the distance of the walk was a bit more than my usual route and I didn't appreciate how loose my pelvis had become. I expected pelvic pain later in pregnancy, once baby engages near my due date, but not at 20 weeks. 

As I've mentioned, I have had some hip issues upon waking which I related to side-lying and being out of alignment but now I have more to consider. Apparently I'm one of those lucky women whose pelvis starts to loosen up earlier in pregnancy (thanks to an amazing hormone called relaxin) and this causes the muscles and ligaments and bones to become out of alignment and often causes aches, pain, and difficulty walking among other things. 

After my long walk on Thursday I found myself hobbling, bending over to try and find a position where the pain in my pubic bone wasn't as bothersome-it was very crone-like. At one point I was doing the dishes and leaning over to put them in the dishwasher was so uncomfortable I started tearing up. I was so frustrated with myself and the sudden limitations to my movement  (and I think the pregnancy hormones helped coax the tears out easy too) I started crying and the hubby rushed into the kitchen to see what was the matter. 

I explained the situation and he encouraged me to call the midwives. I had been tempted to call earlier that day but had dismissed the thought knowing that pelvic girdle pain is just a fact of pregnancy and while the discomfort can be treated it's something I'm just gonna to have to deal with until baby arrives (and, you know me, I err on the side of "suck it up"). I did end up calling the birth center and it did feel good to hear someone tell me I wasn't crazy or alone. The midwife recommended seeing a chiropractor or a physical therapist, which I've yet to look into, but more important to me she reassured me that I was totally normal, that I can still exercise but not to push through the pain and listen to my body. That I can do!

So the rest of the weekend was pretty slow going for me as recovery time. Friday we had standing plans and went south to an outlet mall in OR to shop for maternity clothes (the hubster was an awesome shopping buddy, I have to admit) and then carried on to visit my in-laws in the Tri-Cities. I walked slowly, had to be extra careful sitting down and getting up, and even getting in and out of the car was a bit uncomfortable. It was a long day. We didn't get to bed until after midnight and I was achy and hobbly from pelvic pain. I tried to take it easy the rest of the weekend and even Monday I couldn't quite walk at my normal pace. Thankfully today I felt a lot better though I'm very careful not to overdo it again! 

It was an okay visit to my in-laws, though being in pain definitely brought my mood down. I also felt a lot of stress from my mother-in-law and that negativity on top of my bodily aches sapped my patience and made me a little grumpy. I think she was anxious or upset about family stuff and I sponged up the feelings. Normally I might be able to inject some positivity, but this weekend I just kept to myself. It was really nice when we finally made it home (utterly exhausted) and I consciously appreciated the comforts of home, I tend to take those fore granted!

In other news, the cats and dog are being treated for roundworm. Not fun squirting gunk into cats' mouths but Fio took it like a champ. They all get another round in a couple weeks and we're hoping not to have to do this again for a long, long time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF