So tired. So, so tired.
The training is taking place about 70 minutes away and I have to leave by 5:30 am each day to ensure I'm not late so I wake up at 5:00 am to be there before the 7:00 am start time. It's supposed to wrap up September 30th and we move back to the main location a town or two more south.
You may know already, I struggle to fall asleep in a timely manner. Thursday night I was so tired I laid down at 8:00 pm to try and be asleep by 9:00 pm but that didn't happen and Friday I was nodding off and sitting with my eyes closed most of the day. I hate to be that person, but coming from so far away is tough.
There are people that travel even farther distances than I do-we were told that the position was telework after training but have been since told that it might take up to six months after certification to earn that privilege and that they actually prefer newbies to be in-office for the first year. Turns out it was a little bait-and-switch, just like the training being only 45 minutes away initially...
That said, I'm enjoying the people and being there and having something to do and bringing in some money. Haven't quite been paid yet, but it's definitely a motivator. They haven't scared me off even though I feel like I can't trust anything they say and that most of the time I'm getting different answers from different people. I guess working as a teacher has my expectations calibrated a little lower than usual.
I don't have any other prospects at the moment, so I want to keep going. It sure does suck up the gas and time though. I am wondering if my tendency to people please is driving my desire to continue as well as the money and moderate interest in the work itself. I'm sure it's a combination.
I've made some friends and one that seems special. We share lunch most days and have started bonding I think. Makes it easier when I have compatriots in the same boat.
Been listening to the Handsome podcast and thoroughly enjoying myself. Laughing out loud while driving does make me a little self-conscious (I wonder what others' might think). It's a little raunchy at times, but three comedians swapping bits and jabs and stories is apparently just what I need on a longish commute.
The hubs is skeptical. When they moved the training twentyish minutes north he was miffed. The commute does affect our family's schedule and puts a lot of pressure on the hubster to keep things up on the front alone. That said, when/if I get to work from home it would be a benefit.
Just trudging along and waiting and seeing at this point...
Good luck - and I really hope you can catch up on some precious sleep.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteThat's a tough one. This is definitely a pluses and minuses situation. If the pay is good and you're interested in the work, it might be good to stick it out. In all of the spare time you don't have, I would keep my eyes open for something else. If that materialized, I'd make an effort to keep up with your new friend. There are so many podcasts out there to choose from. Many people listen to books while they commute, and they are easy to get from the library. My husband used to do that during his commute and that kept him from getting so angry in traffic.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I hope the training passes quickly. Good luck!
So right! And I hope the training goes swiftly too. Thanks :o)
Delete