Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Warning: Graphic Photos

Today I decided to keep myself busy and active to try and fend off the sadness that has been dogging me.

Part of my "busy-ness" plan was walking to Fred Meyer's and getting a few things for a chocolate cheesecake recipe and on the way I came across a dead bird beside the sidewalk. At first I thought it was a hawk, then I saw the face... it was an owl. For some reason, it seemed more meaningful when I realized that it was an owl. 

I'm not sure if I've ever seen an owl in the wild and I had never seen a dead owl before (outside a museum) so... well, I'm glad I decided to walk this path today.


when I found you 
I looked away
as if your death were a private affair
not a tactless shrine 
beside the cars' path that killed you
but when I looked back and found your eyes
dull silver-bronze like your talons
I knew that I must look upon you
honor you
behold you 
since I couldn't hold you in my arms
cradle you and whisper 
congratulations and commendations 
 and endearments into the wet feathers at your ears
as I lay you to rest somewhere shadowed and quiet
 you fell along a congested state route
 upon sodden weeds and bits of broken plastic
I will think of you in the sky dear one
among the stars
above the trees


The talons were a breath taking metallic color and quite surprising. 
Had a creepy moment when I looked up and found 3 nearly
identical cats watching me after taking photos of the owl.

To top it off there was a dead rat in our parking lot. That was just too nasty to take pictures of but let me say that it appeared someone was benefiting from the rat's death. 

Offsetting the death I encountered, I  was delighted and shocked to find these blooms on the rhododendron by our parking spot.



The cheesecake has been quite an effort and I hope it will be worth it... won't know til tomorrow.

OH, Baby Bananaface has started saying "mummamamamomma" when he wants me :) We're calling it his first word! Momma for the win!

Also, the hubs spotted a rat on our balcony evening last after I had spotted droppings last week so our bird feeding is a little... limited at the moment. Still have the little suet up and getting my good visitors along with some obnoxious starlings... *sigh* At least the hummingbird feeder is no strings!

17 comments:

  1. Lovely blooms, Hannah. I see a dead bird and on a couple of occasions a dead skunk here in Montreal, so your graphic photos didn't shock me, but I did appreciate the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky cats are great for this holiday week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love how festive you are for Halloween! Are you into Christmas at all?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we LOVE Christmas, as well. Intact, our front yard Xmas tree is already decorated, and as soon as Halloween is over, we flip the switch and turn this place into Christmas Fun!

      How about you? Do you fancy XMAS?

      Delete
    3. We decorate and I love wrapping gifts though we aren't extensive shoppers or gifters so I never seem to get enough to wrap...

      I do a very specific color scheme for my tree every year and like to decorate them just so. This year I'm hoping to do my first blue and white and silver tree combo, but we'll see :) I usually bake a crapton but I want to dial that back this year.

      OH and the movies. Love the Christmas movies! "Jingle All the Way" is one of my favs and "Holiday Inn" even though it has a racist bit.

      Do you have favorite XMAS flicks????

      Delete
    4. Very cool on the tree. My favorite xmas movie is Nightmare Before Christmas.

      Delete
    5. I should've known! I really liked the Nightmare Before Christmas version of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland last month. I'm not usually into strong scents but the dining hall section with gingerbread smell was sooooo yummy smelling!

      Delete
  3. God, woman. That poem. You are a brilliant writer.

    Maybe you or your husband could make a seed catcher. We have one. All it is is a square frame with a thin mesh metal screen. It also have four round hooks for tying string. You just hang it under the feeder so the seed drops into it. Like this. http://www.songbirdgarden.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2761

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birdie :) I was trying to remember what I thought as I walked but I can never remember it all, I need a mental memo pad!

      Thanks for the tip about the seed catcher, that looks super handy!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful writing...Sorry about the bird, though. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing is always so very moving.
    I am a big, big fan of owls so found it sad - but love that you honoured and respected him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, I'm not sure when owls became special to me, but they are and I was a bit shocked and saddened too.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for loving the owl. We all need some love, dead or alive. I'm glad he was met by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsewhere, this is one of the best compliments I've ever received!

      Delete
  7. Your writing is amazing! The dead bird not so much. It made me quite sad. Poor thing... :( But I love that you spotted and wrote about him/her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm glad I actually wrote out those thoughts instead of keeping them to myself!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Be well, HBF